Friday, October 3, 2008

I May Rise, But I Refuse to Shine

That was the saying printed on a pajama top I used to have a long time ago - it rung true then and it still does today, sometimes. I have not ever been a morning person, and I´m not sure I ever will be. So this morning, I groaned when my alarm went off at 6:45 - knowing that I had to get up for an early morning class in Providencia. I had tried to go to bed early-ish last night, because of my class this morning and because I´d had a headache practically all day yesterday (side note: I had a great time at Basic last night watching the debates! I finally got to meet Sara, and hung out with Isabel and Shannon whom I already knew - wish I could´ve stayed longer!).

Anyway, I took the micro on Pedro de Valdivia and actually ended up getting to the company about 10 minutes early. Luckily, I had a good book with me (one I borrowed from Shannon, actually), so I sat and waited.

8:00 - I say hi to the front-desk receptionist. Me cae bien, he greets all the guys who come in to work there as ¨caballero¨, and always has a smile for everyone.

8:05 - My student is always late, so I decide to look over today´s lesson one more time.

8:17 - No more of that, I want to read my book.

8:25 - Some woman who works at the company comes in, looks at me in amusement and says, ´You´re still here, in the same spot as last night!¨.... yes, that´s true, but I did actually go home to sleep before coming back this morning, thanks.

8:30 - Receptionist: Do you want to walk around the office and see if your student is here somewhere? The cafeteria is right around there.
Me: Sure, why the heck not.
(I know you´re on the edge of your seat... I´ll give you one guess as to whether I found my student or not)

8:40 - Receptionist: Do you want to keep waiting?
Me (bleary-eyed, sans morning coffee): Eh, I might as well... not like I have anywhere else to be right now.

8:55 - The receptionist tries to call my student´s cell phone. No answer. This is about the 4th time he´s tried to reach him by now. By this time, me and the receptionist are good pals. He pulls out a camera and tells me to smile, saying he´ll show this as proof to my student that I was actually here this morning.

8:57 - I leave, kind of feeling like a loser when My Friend the Receptionist gives me a sympathetic smile and shrug.

9:00 - I get back on the same bus and head home to relax before my 1:30 class.

And, ladies and gentlemen, such is the life of an English teacher in Chile.

3 comments:

Shannon. said...

Geez! That sucks that you had to wake up early for nothing!!!!
I had fun last night! And I'm glad my book can be of service to you!! Let me know when you want the third one! I finished all of them by now! I couldn't stop reading, I guess I can read them again one more time before I go back to the US.

lydia said...

haha, but hey... if you get paid its all the same, almost better, and for sure not for nothing.
i mean, down time is better than work time
and thats one less lesson you have to plan! that means relax until next week and do the same thing you wouldve done today !

Abby said...

that saying is so great!! i mentioned it in the blog post i just wrote :)