Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Dayyyyyy

Alright, my blog has always been pretty politics-free, and I´d like to keep it that way for the most part. In fact, I don´t think I´ve even mentioned if I´m for Obama or McCain. But in the spirit of election day, I might as well come out with it: I didn´t vote for either one. I think I may be the only expat in Chile on our little blog network here that didn´t vote for Obama, but I´m perfectly OK with that. The truth is, I grew up in a very politically conservative, Christian family (and when I say Christian, I do mean Christian... my parents were and are good Christ-like examples for me). Growing up, I always adopted the stances of my parents, as children are wont to do. When I got to Carolina, a pretty liberal university, some of my views on things changed a bit. I am also a Christian (although I definitely mess up a lot), and that has influenced me politically as well. I won´t go into my stance on all of the issues, but one of the issues I have always been and will always be extremely passionate about is that of abortion. I am very much against abortion, and that, along with a few other issues, made me not vote for Obama. As far as McCain, I´m a bit fearful of him continuing on the road paved by Bush. I really wish there was a 3rd party candidate with a fighting chance, but so goes politics in the U.S. Anyway, feel free to comment if you´d like. Happy Election Day everybody!

5 comments:

Emily said...

So does this mean you didn't vote at all, or just that you voted for a 3rd party candidate who you know won't win? If you voted for another candidate, I say good for you - eventually, if enough people feel similarly to you, a candidate like that will have more of a chance (and if not then it'll be because we live in democracy and yours isn't a popular opinion, no shame in that). But if you didn't vote at all I have to say I think that's kind of a cop out. I understand your position and that neither of the candidates really appeals to you, but the fact of the matter is that one of them WILL win. And that person could be someone who supports something you see as murder, or it could be someone who leads the US into further war and ruin of reputation. So it's hardly a case of it not mattering!

Even if you see it as choosing between the lesser of two evils, it's important to make that choice because the results will affect YOU!

Jessica said...

Emily,

I should´ve been more clear in my post, I actually did not vote at all. And I see your argument, but you said yourself, ¨that person could be someone who supports something you see as murder...¨ Right, exactly! I can´t in good conscience vote for said person. And voting is a right, not an obligation... it´s different here in Chile, if you register to vote, you HAVE to vote. Not so in the U.S., as you know. So just as I have the right to vote, I also have the freedom not to exercise that right. And frankly, I don´t feel that I should be forced to choose between the lesser of 2 evils. Yes, one of the 2 main candidates was going to win, but at least I can feel right with my conscience that it wasn´t my vote that put him there.

Sara said...

Hey, it ws nice to see you albeit breifly yesterday. We should have a girl's night soon!

Leigh said...

I think part of living in a democracy is having the right to say that no candidate represents you. In Chile, people express that opinion by voting "nulo." Since that's not an option on our ballots, I think not voting is a completely valid choice. I believe there's a big difference between not voting because you forgot/were too lazy and not voting because you made a conscious, informed decision not to put your weight behind someone you disagree with on issues that are important to you.

I also wish third-party candidates were given more visibility in the US. One of the things that strikes me about Chile is that even though the political scene is dominated by two major blocs, many people are at least aware of the other voices out there -- and sometimes vote for them.

That's my two cents!

Tyffanie said...

Hi Jessica! That was probably me if I was wearing a teal colored shirt! I was just coming home from work! No worries on not saying HI, I totally understand how it feels...but next time, feel free and hopefully we'll get to meet up sometime soon. Saludos :)