Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Anthony Bourdain in Chile

My love affair (such as it is) with Anthony Bourdain began last summer when I discovered the wonderful world of hulu.com. Also known as the most amazing website in the world, where you can watch episodes of practically every TV series under the sun, as well as choose from a constantly growing archive of movies. What does this have to do with Anthony Bourdain, you may ask? You also may find yourself asking, "Who the heck is this guy and why am I reading a post about him?" Good question. As for the former, he's a pretty famous chef and author from New York City - you may have seen his show "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. As for the latter, why you are reading this post right now, it's probably because you're really bored. I can't blame you, so am I.

Anyway, last summer I started watching episodes of the now-defunct "Kitchen Confidential", a show based on the book of the same name, which I am currently reading. Basically, after watching one episode of the show, I found myself wondering why it had ever been cancelled. It was hilarious, and basically details the career of Bourdain, including his many shenanigans involving booze, drugs and women. Oh yeah, and also cooking. The point is that I absolutely loved the show, and am loving the book, and am loving Bourdain. Not in that I-want-to-marry-him kind of way, but he just seems like a pretty kick-a kind of guy. And he's not afraid of playing a practical joke, which I like. One time, in a restaurant he was working in, he and another line cook wrapped one of their co-workers in plastic wrap (he was willing to do it, don't worry), covered him in fake blood, and put him in the deep freeze. Then, they called the General Manager of the restaurant over the intercom, saying that they were really busy and that they needed him to get something out of the deep freeze for them. Well, you can imagine what ensued. The poor guy, upon discovering one of his line cooks in the deep freeze, thought he had been murdered and almost had a heart attack. Bourdain and his friends were laughing all the way home.

So basically, I was pretty excited the other day to hear that Bourdain is coming to Chile. One of my students told me about it, knowing I was reading Kitchen Confidential. Supposedly, he's coming in March to give kind of a seminar that's open to the public. Sadly, I don't think I can afford tickets, but I'd love to go. I bet he'd be entertaining - if he's half as funny as his book, it'd be worth the price of admission for sure.

4 comments:

Isabel said...

may i borrow that book when you're finished?? i LOVE Anthony Bourdain and think we should try to score some tickets.

Maeskizzle said...

Thanks for posting this. I love Bourdain as well. I'd love to see him but Espacio Riesgo is so huuge. And the dealio is for like 800-1000 people...tickets at 35.000. Fome.

Isabel, a student of mine has my copy of Kitchen Confidential, which he will return to me once I swing by his office (probably in the next couple of weeks), and if you still haven't gotten a copy by then, I'll lend you mine.

Sara said...

He already did a show in Chile a while ago. (I keep hoping to see it). My mom called me while i was in Valparaíso to tell me that he had just been to Valparaíso and Reñaca.

Anonymous said...

Bourdain is so cool, and I was lucky enough to attend Anthony Bourdain's press conference on Monday... you can see it at: http://cachandochile.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/anthony-bourdain-loves-lomitos/