Monday, December 22, 2008

I Made A Mistake

They say first impressions are everything, but they're wrong. I have proof. I recently met someone who I grossly misjudged. And the worst part is, it was all based on 2 minutes of conversation. Think about it. Out of 20 some odd years, what percentage of a life is 2 minutes? How representative can it really be? And to write someone off based on that... I must be a horrible person.

Especially now because I realize my error. I discovered that not only does this person have a blog, but they write BEAUTIFULLY. In fact, they seem like an amazing person, and I feel about 2 inches tall right now. Every once in awhile I discover a writer who seems to articulate the beauty in this world in a form that I find breathtaking, and who describes things in such a way that they seem right there, tangible, for the taking. This girl is one of those people. For hours I've been trying desperately to think of who she reminds me of, and it finally comes to me: another blog writer I found last year, and then promptly lost when she stopped blogging. But I tucked away one of her descriptions, and I still remember the night I read it for the first time, and trying to tell D about it later. She was talking about a beautiful night spent with friends, and she wrote that she wanted to "take this night and break it into little tiny pieces and give one to everyone I know." Something about that just struck me... maybe because I've had nights like that, many of them in Chile, when I wish I could just infuse the indescribable beauty into everyone I meet. Either way, The Girl I Misjudged is much like Blog Writer Number One.

I feel ashamed, and I honestly hope she hasn't read my blog. If you do read this, just know that I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. And also thank you, for inspiring me and providing me with some of the best reading I've had in a long time. It makes me think of Donald Miller, and I like to think we are kindred souls, he and I. To my fellow bloggers, if you haven't read "Blue Like Jazz", you are severely missing out.

No comments: