Sunday, March 29, 2009

What a Small World

This weekend I moved to Wilmington, NC, which is a beautiful little port city located about 5 minutes from Wrightsville Beach, and a few minutes from some other beaches. It has a nice downtown scene, and I've always loved it. Honestly, it was between Wilmington and Wake Forest for where I was thinking of moving, and Wilmington won hands down. I'm so excited about living here, and hopefully going back to school next spring. Anyway, last night I went out with the boy and his brother and a few of their friends to this place called Blue Post, which is a popular little bar downtown. While we were there, J's (the guy I'm dating)brother S got a call from these girls he knows who are studying abroad here at UNC-Wilmington, and they were wanting to hang out with us. Guess where the girls are from? Yep, that's right - CHILE. OHMYGOD I was so excited to hang out with them. We went back to S's house and he picked the girls up and brought them there, and it was like Christmas morning haha, I was just incredibly happy to be with Chileans again, and to be able to talk in Chilean Spanish. The girls were super nice - one was from Santiago and the other from Vina (don't have the tilde on this computer). Unfortunately, they both found Wilmington to be incredibly boring, but I can't really blame them. Coming from Santiago or Vina to a small place like Wilmington would be a big change. Either way, we talked for quite awhile and I was so glad to have met them. I seriously almost cried, I was so happy to be back with Chileans again haha. I miss Chile so much. Anyway, hopefully we can meet up again for lunch or something. Man, it's a small world. :)

2 comments:

Emita said...

haha! I can completely sympathize. I went out a few weeks ago and somehow while outside I overheard some guy asking where another guy was from. He said Chile and for some reason I busted out laughing. Suffice to say we spent the next 2 hours talking each other's ear off. It almost felt like a relief to be speaking Chilean Spanish again!

Anonymous said...

@VIVIANA

I had signed up to expatsinchile.com but deleted my profile again after all the spamming you are doing on blogs and also on internations.org

@Jessica great to hear that you found some Chileans. You should encourage them to start blogging and share their views on expat live in the US with us.