Tuesday, January 20, 2009

¨Squealing Teenagers¨ or ¨Hot Teacher Mania¨

As it happens, there is a certain teacher at my institute who shall remain nameless, from a certain Southern state that shall also remain nameless. Said teacher and I currently share a class. This means that he teaches the class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I teach the class on the other days of the week. I was a bit apprehensive about this arrangement at first, but as it turns out, it´s not such a big deal after all. Anyway, because of sharing the class, we often talk a lot when we see each other at the institute. We kind of did before, too, just because he´s actually pretty fun to talk to. Not my cup of tea, but good to have as a friend. Well, I also happen to have a 2nd class (that I don´t share with him) that is composed of 6 teenagers - 5 girls and 1 boy. They range in age from 13 to 16, and they are indeed typical teenage girls. One other detail I might mention - the teacher from the Southern state that shall still remain nameless just happens to be pretty good-looking.

...You might be able to see where I´m going with this. Teenage girls + hot older teacher = trouble. I almost lost my patience today. They seriously SQUEAL whenever they see him. And somehow, they think I have the inside track just because I talk to him a lot. Today when we were in the cafeteria during our 15-minute break from class, they demanded that I introduce them to him. With a look on my face like ¨I just ran over a puppy¨, I turned to him and said under my breath, ¨I´m soooooo sorry about them... but they want me to introduce them to you.¨ Poor guy. But he took it all in stride. I´m thinking he´s probably used to this by now, teenage girls fawning all over him. And honestly, I´m trying to rein in my impatience because the thing is, I remember what it was like to be a teenage girl. I remember what it was like to have crushes on cute older guys. I remember what it was like to feel my heartbeat speed up when I saw that guy, and to turn to my girlfriends and excitedly whisper, ¨There he is!¨. God love ´em. I really do love this class - which is saying something, because before the summer term started, I was praying that I could avoid classes with teenagers. Now, I love them. I´m not saying it´s always wonderful, but I really am grateful to have been challenged with this group of students. Now if I could only get them to stop screaming when they see this one teacher...

4 comments:

Sara said...

I was just talking with a friend today about when we were teenagers and the things we thought were such a big deal. It's weird now. Teenagers can either make me feel their age again or sap all my energy. Good to know you are enjoying your class.

Isabel said...

haha, I totally know who you're talking about. he subbed at my coffee place class and all the ladies were in a craze over him so he gets the older ones, too (TOTALLY don't get it, though!)

Shannon. said...

I´m BACK!!!!
Let´s do something sometime soooon!!!!

Shannon. said...

well i have no job so until i get one, i have nothing planned in my life except next sunday i am going with rodrigos friends. when are you free?? and is the institute you work at looking for more teachers??