Wednesday, April 23, 2008

La Subasta

Alright, this is my first post (obviously) on this new blog, and unfortunately since it's already pretty late I don't have time in this post to go into a lot of background. We'll save that for another day. But long story short, I'm a gringa who's dating a Chilean. Sadly, we're doing the whole long-distance relationship thing right now... which gets really crazy considering the "long distance" in this case is 5000 miles. Yes, we do actually have plans to be on the same continent in the near future. I'm in the U.S. working for several more months, my boyfriend Diego is planning to come visit in July, and then I'm hoping to move back to Chile a couple of months after that. For how long, I'm not sure, but maybe a couple of years, before we both move back to the U.S. Wow, typing that out, it sounds kind of confusing, but trust me, we actually do have a plan! Anyway, I keep coming across blogs by U.S. girls dating or married to Chilean guys, and it's been really interesting reading about their experiences! I've learned a lot, and I think it would be nice to meet some of them when I do move back to Chile, as I'm sure I'll need some good gringa friends for support! :)

Anyway, on to the subject of this post... Diego is being auctioned off tomorrow! That's right, auctioned off. He's part of a college/young adult ministry group in Santiago, and tomorrow they're doing a chicos/chicas date auction ("subasta") to raise money for a mission trip. So, my first reaction upon hearing this tonight from D was.... ummmmm, so you're telling me some girl is going to be bidding for a chance to go out with you? WHAT?! But then I calmed down and realized that a) it's to raise money, b) I trust my boyfriend, c) it's really kind of a joke anyway, and d) he'll be auctioned off with his brother... so, eh, maybe it's not so bad. That's right, it's a package deal ;) He and his brother are in a band, and they're commonly just referred to as Los Hermanos Sí, so one of the things being auctioned off is an outing with LHS... this made me laugh, I have to admit. And D assured me that it probably won't involve much more than a trip to Bravissimo and boom, done. So it's all good. I really do trust my boyfriend, I promise. It's the Chilenas that I don't trust as much. No offense, but the way male/female relationships work in Chile is a lot different from the U.S. Here in the U.S., if a guy tells a girl he has a girlfriend, she'll usually back off (well, ideally). In Chile, telling a girl you are taken means nothing. Basically, you just wasted 3 seconds of your time saying that. So, it doesn't make me really comfortable knowing that some girls are going to be bidding on an outing with my boyfriend, mainly because of that fact. And, in my opinion, he's pretty cute! Anyway, I just thought the whole auction thing was kind of funny. He's supposed to tell me tomorrow night which girl wins. ;)

1 comment:

Shannon. said...

hahah I totally inderstand what you are saying about the girls here!! they make me nervous, sometimes i think it like a challenge if the man says hes taken, they want to steal him!! I juist started reading blogs about others in chile for men, i dint even realize there were so many people like me!! When are you coming here?? I have been here since January and I´m going back to the US in December for the winter, with the boy of course. But when you get here we should definitly meet up!! I feel so friendless here and since I dont speak much español its not that easy to just go out and make friends. well talk to you later!!!