Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Has anybody seen my sense of humor?

I think the easiest way to sum up my particular brand of humor is in two words: The Office. Yep, that show is one of my all-time favorites, and I faithfully tune in each week to see how Michael Scott is going to make an idiot out of himself, what pranks Jim will pull on Dwight, etc. I realize not everyone loves this show as much as I do, but personally I think it's hilarious. My sense of humor tends to be more on the subtle, sarcastic side. And I've come to realize that sarcasm isn't perceived as humorous all across the globe. Oh, and another thing... it's HARD to be funny in another language! Am I the only one who thinks this? I hope not.
Apparently, one of the signs that you're becoming really advanced in another language is that you are able to express your sense of humor in that language (or so I've been told). I don't know how well my sarcasm comes across in Spanish - talk about a challenge. Luckily, Diego has a crazy, off-the-wall sense of humor, so I can pretty much say anything crazy and it works. It's still pretty frustrating at times, though. I'm used to making my brother and sister-in-law laugh, and then I go to Chile and you'd think I'd never even been introduced to the concept of a sense of humor. I understand it when Diego or one of his friends make a joke, but I myself have a hard time being funny in Spanish. Or at least, being funny in the way I like to be funny. That's what frustrates me the most, I think. But, I'm learning new things every day, and talking to D is a great way to do it. He teaches me lots of "Chilenismos"... lots of crazy stuff! But it's fun, and I love it. Maybe my sense of humor in Spanish is slowly making its way in. Que bacan, no?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I was horribly boring for a long time...I wouldn't even talk about my day at dinner when I first got here because it was just too much effort at the end of a long day to put all those words together! Now I feel more normal, although I still have moments when something that in English would be a sophisticated joke becomes more "jaja, silly gringa" as I try to explain some cultural thing that didn't quite translate.

Jessica said...

^yes, that's how i felt a lot of times! it can be pretty discouraging, but i started learning to laugh at myself, so that helped ;)